Thursday 19 July 2007

Homesickness Hits!

Woke up this morning and felt soooo sad! I guess it had to happen sooner or later. All my family and friends live so far away. I know we'll be back to visit (and I really hope some of you come out to visit) but in some ways it feels like we'll never see our loved ones again 'cos it will be so long until we do see them.

So I cuddled in close to Andy and had a wee cry! I know we've been away for 2 years before but travelling is different to emigrating (obviously). Don't get me wrong - we are loving it out here. Andy is motivated to get his business going and has a couple of clients now. Schools go back on Monday and I'm pretty sure I'll have some supply work. Pete & Cindy (those fantastic people we live with) are. . . fantastic people and we have met some great folks who have gone out of their way to welcome us to their country & community. But it's not the same as rocking up at someone's house who you've known for years.

I really hope that one day this will feel like home. I know it takes time and I know things will be strange and tough at times but I had/have such great friendships in the UK that I'm bound to miss them. Can't wait to get our computer (it's currently in quarantine) so we can get skype and msn going . . . still trying to work out facebook.

Anyway, the house emptied (Andy & Pete to work, Cindy to daycare with the kids) and I went for a long walk on the beach. The sun was shining and the beach was deserted. Played my music loud, talked to God, cried a bit more and then felt much better. So I think I'll live to see another day!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hello you two!!

Glad to hear how its all going, keep the updates coming!

Beach looks gorgeous. There is something real special about walking on a beach.

I'm getting prepared to go back to Brasil for the third time, this time leading an Elim team. Can't wait!

Loretta said...

Hi you two

I'm so pleased to hear about your blog. Now when I read it I feel like I've popped in for a cuppa and a catch up.

I was sad when I read about your homesickness Carla. But you both seem to be settling in so well and so quickly - working already etc.

Keep in touch.

Love you both lots xx