Saturday 7 July 2007

Saturday Night

What a difference a day makes! On Tuesday I decided to go for a long walk on the beach and got all wrapped up for the cold wind. I set off and returned 5 minutes later as I was beginning to melt! It was the most beautiful, warm winter's day imaginable so I changed into summer gear (no, not a rain mac like you're wearing in the UK summer) and off I went. Great!

The next day the weather turned into winter and in the evening there were severe weather warnings issued. Gale force winds whipped the sea into a frenzy and the jetty walkway was smashed to pieces by the force of the waves. The rain absolutely teemed it down and it was incredible to hear it bouncing off the roof of the verandah.

So, apart from the weather report, our other news is that we've been to a "Welcome to South Australia" meeting which was informative. Our visa is only a provisional visa for 3 years so we have to check in with Immigration SA in order to apply for Permanent Residency when the time comes.

On the work front, I (Carla) have been given the Authority to Teach letter from the Teacher's Registration Board - hurrah. I've done a first aid course (8 hours) which all teachers are required to do. I'd done similar courses before but I don't recall learning how to treat a snake or spider bite on any courses I've done in the UK! I've got an informal interview on Wednesday at a school to do some supply work (which they call Relief work) and I'm about to sign up to some agencies for the same thing.

Enjoy the photos of winter in Semaphore...

2 comments:

Ron said...

Just to let you know someone is reading this.

Laura Mitson said...

Hello!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad you're there safely and having fun already. It has been seriously raining here but nothing like that storm you described - just miserable not-stop English rain!

Thanks for your letter to school - practically every child in your class told me that you miss me! Yay!

Love you both lots!!!